Genesis believes . . .
- a “call” is not a vocational choice but a special way of understanding what we are here for.
- every single one of us has a “good work” to do in life; this good work not only accomplishes something needed in the world, but completes something in us.
- God is found in right relationships, not right ideas.
- Jesus is God in human form.
- the Bible is meant for transformation, not just information.
- we can find more grace in our questioning than we can in absolutes.
- a truly diverse church has a better chance of reflecting the fullness of God’s image and character.
- a sense of humor makes life in community possible–and more fun!
- prayer is the foundation of everything we do.
Our Vision Statement . . .
By God’s grace, we will be a transforming presence in the world journeying toward spiritual maturity.
Our Mission Statement . . .
Genesis United Methodist Church connects people in a Christ-centered and inclusive community that grows faith, engages in service and leads West Michigan and the denomination into expanding visions of justice.
Our Core Values
We rely on the love and compassion of God to forgive, to heal and to draw us into new life in Christ.
We have a willingness to be led and empowered by the Holy Spirit to do the work God has called us to do. We engage the power of the Holy Spirit to achieve greater wholeness through prayer, rituals of healing, and celebrating the sacraments
We follow God’s call to heal, liberate and break unjust systems. We are a congregation that engages in missions and social justice. We meet the immediate need and we work at the systemic level to achieve justice.
diverse and inclusive faith community
We strive to create a body of believers that reflects the world around us. We learn to value and appreciate differences. We intentionally cultivate diverse leadership creating a ministry with an eye towards the other.
priesthood of all believers
Jesus is God’s compassion in the world. As followers of Jesus, we live out our faith by connecting our gifts with the hurts and hopes of the world in life-changing ways. We believe everyone is called and gifted by God to make a positive difference. At Genesis we offer many opportunities to be serving in Christ’s name in the neighborhood, the city, the world.
Genesis. New beginning. Isn’t it time? There’s a place for you to experience the deep life-changing love of God at Genesis United Methodist Church.